A local family has been overwhelmed with support from the community since its home at 207 Dunagan was lost in a fire Friday, Dec. 6. Linda Kay Thompson, her sons, Jamarcus and Dominic, and daughter, Ashante, were not injured in the blaze that was reported in the midst of freezing rain just before 4 p.m. Friday afternoon. "We're so grateful and thankful," Thompson said. "To see the whole community come together to help us is wonderful and unexpected. Everyone has helped out and pitched in, and we are so grateful." According to Ronnie Cowart, local fire marshal, Thompson and her youngest son were at home on Friday when the fire broke out, and were able to exit the structure safely and flag a motorist down for help. "The streets were icy, but (OVFD) got there as soon as possible," Cowart said. "The fire was out within 10 minutes of their arrival." In spite of the quick response time, Cowart said the home was a total loss. Following an investigation, Cowart ruled that the fire started due to candles that were being used as a heat source. Since the fire, Thompson said she and her children have received aid from the Red Cross and local churches, as well as many individuals in town who have given clothes and other items to help out. The only things they really still need, Thompson said as of Monday afternoon, are household items and food. Any donations for the family may be taken to Thompson at Room 218 at The Pipeliner Inn this week, or given through Casey Gray, a family friend.


Call or text Gray at (940) 212-0272 to schedule donation drop-off. Donations may also be made through Jason Pack, who can be reached at (254) 967-1641.